Friday, April 3, 2015

Skagit Valley Tulip Fields

So much for my goal to post here frequently.  I see it's been a month since the last one.  Since my husband's last heart attack my emotions have been all over the place...from totally numb to depression to anxiety.  Some days I have to push myself to do much of anything.  He still has a lot of heart issues to deal with, but he just keeps plugging along.  He has slowed down a lot, but he refuses to stop no matter how he feels.  He's one tough guy and I thank God for that!

I planned to post a tutorial, but my brain isn't functioning well enough to do a good job of it, so I'll concentrate on our Skagit Valley tulip fields.  They bloomed two weeks early this year because of the unusually warm winter and spring.  Tourists come from all over the U.S. and some foreign countries to view the awesome sight.  Anybody who planned to visit during the last half of April might be disappointed when they see that the tulips have been deadheaded. 

I haven't been out in the valley to see them yet.  It used to be easy to go early in the morning or evening, but the crowds keep getting larger, come earlier and stay longer.  We could wander through the fields, but now we have to pay to walk through them.  I don't blame the growers for starting to charge.  Not only does it give them income, but also limits the damage to the tulips.  Most viewers are courteous and careful, but there are some who don't have a clue.  The fields can still be viewed from the fence lines without paying and great photos can be taken from that position. 

Here are a few photos from last year.  Enjoy.





5 comments:

  1. "Perfect droplets
    cling to the purple skin
    the liquid flesh
    of the tulip bloom
    holding on, for moments more
    before the melting away
    in the May sunshine
    waiting for my camera
    my posing, posturing
    holding still for the shot
    ready to complete the cycle
    from the cloud to the earth
    and back again
    in the warming
    of the morning"

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are breathe taking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, I love the poem. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the vivid colors!! And tulips are a favorite. Sorry you've been a little down lately, but Hubby's health has taken a toll on you. Praying he gets stronger, but thankful he keeps going and doesn't just sit down and quit. Stay strong! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful.
    hope your husband gets well soon. i can only imagine how difficult it must be.

    ReplyDelete