Monday, September 5, 2011

Nest for Hen and Chickens

I've had this wrought iron planter for a couple years, thinking I would plant something spectacular. As I kept looking at it this summer I began to think 'succulents'. So yesterday I got out some hen & chicks that I pulled up from a friend's yard (with her permission of course). I lined the planter with a coco fiber liner. Then I decided where I wanted to place the hen & chicks around the sides. I cut holes in the liner where I wanted to insert them. I needed something to hold the plants in until they could grow new roots large enough to hold them in place. I had heard of using twist ties, but I didn't have any of those. I saw some corn husks that DH had thrown on the ground and the light bulb went on. They were pliable and tough enough to tie around the roots of the plants to hold them in place.

After the sides were filled in I filled the planter with potting soil, mounded it on top and planted hen & chicks along with other succulents that were coming up all over my yard. It still looks a little bare in spots, but I'm confident that it will soon fill in completely.

This was a time consuming project, but well worth the time. DH asked me at dusk if he needed to bring me a flashlight. He's so helpful! I finished just before dark...without the flashlight.


  1. It will be amazing when it fills in! I wish I had a green thumb, but, alas, it's just not to be!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog -- I really need to get busy and post more regularly!

  2. And thanks to you for stopping by. I need to post more, too. I'm still learning so there are things I can't post, like etsy treasuries, that I haven't learned yet.