Sunday, February 8, 2015

My Attempt at Haiga

I have been writing poetry for many years and at one time I was a member of a poetry board on the internet.  I was never a big fan of haiku, but became interested in that poetry form as I read haiku that some of the members were writing.  I never became good at writing that type of poetry, but have written a few to combine with some of my photography, creating haiga (haiku + art).

If some of you studied haiku in school years ago you probably learned that haiku, Japanese form of poetry,  consisted of three lines...5 syllables, 7 syllables,  5 syllables.  However, the Japanese equivalent of syllables isn't the same as ours.  The modern day poets no longer use that rule of thumb. There are so many rules and non-rules pertaining to modern haiku that I won't list them all here, and I can't say I understand them all considering that I'm definitely not an expert on that poetry form. The haiku quite often describes nature, but not always.  The phrase that sticks in my head is that an 'AHA!' moment is important.  

Here are some of my haiga experiments.  I hope you enjoy them.  And if you're a poetry expert, please feel free to critique...or even if you're not.











1 comment:

  1. It goes without saying that I always enjoy your photography! I knew that you wrote poetry in a certain style, but had no idea what the name of the style was. I really like the first two poems because they complete a thought that tells the story of the photo. Of course, the poem in the boat photo also tells a story and that photo is probably my favorite of the four. I just really like shadows and reflections in water both in paintings and photography.

    On another note...your new brass and glass flower listed in your etsy shop is absolutely gorgeous. If your readers haven't checked it out, they should!!

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/221685189/garden-art-garden-flower-brass-and-glass?ref=shop_home_active_1

    ReplyDelete